From Katherine...
One Year Later…
(feel free to pass this on to anyone who wants/needs
to hear this)
It’s astonishing to realize a year ago today my life was
turned upside down. One year ago, I was residing in
gorgeous Malibu, California living out all my wildest
dreams. I had a precious 6 month old baby and an
adoring husband in law school at Pepperdine. We
were leaders in our church and soaking up all that
Southern California had to offer. I was incredibly blessed
in almost every way, from my abilities in public speaking
to my looks to my intelligence. I had always won
everything and achieved most any dream I had put my
mind to. I married my prince Charming and thought I
would live happily ever after. I ‘had it all’ in a way, and
in an instant, it was all gone.
The worst thing imaginable happened to me. I was in
perfect health. I did not even have a general doctor. I had
just turned 26 yrs old, had no family history of health
problems, I had had a baby naturally 6 month before, and
I had no hypertension. I worked out almost every day, and
had no signs that a brain injury was even a possibility.
Despite all those indicators, on April 21, 2008, I collapsed
as a result of a massive bleed in my brain. The bleed
resulted from the rupture of an AVM in my cerebellum,
as well as a number of aneurysms, which began forming
a hematoma around my brainstem. The blood flowing
into the small spaces surrounding my cerebellum began
to literally squeeze my brain down into my spinal column.
After 16 hours of microsurgery, I was left with less than
half of my cerebellum and untold damage to my brain
stem and most of the intracranial nerves that control my
body, but I was left with my life.
I almost died a year ago today. I really almost died. I do
not believe in happenstance. I believe everything happens
for a reason. I do not know everything, but I know that
God is real and that He saved me on April 21, 2008. I can
say this to you even in the place I am in now, which is
still pretty bad off. As you may know, I cannot walk at all
(I now own a wheelchair), my face is paralyzed on one side,
I have severe double vision, I have been pronounced deaf
in one ear, I have a severely weakened and distorted voice,
and I cannot take care of my baby boy. Thank God I am
finally starting to eat some food again after 11 months on a
feeding tube. My entire right side has been severely
weakened and even as I type this, I can only use my left
hand. There are many, many other issues, but I will spare
you the details.
Don't feel too sorry for me... There have been a few perks
throughout this time. Since I now have a handicap decal,
I never have to look for a place to park at the mall. Since
my face is paralyzed on the right side, it’s like getting free
Botox in half my face. From all the physical therapy, I am in
the best shape of my life. I have a six pack, bulging biceps,
and killer quads. Because I have been incapable of taking
care of my son, I have not changed a dirty diaper in a year.
Since I am now eating, but cannot walk, I have breakfast in
bed every morning! Because I have been severely
underweight, I have to eat Sprinkles cupcakes and Stan’s
doughnuts to try to gain weight. Above all, I have stumbled
upon the greatest way to lose those last few pesky pounds
of baby weight!
0 comments:
Post a Comment