Visitors to my blog

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The New Year

New Years Eve.....well...yeah, we use to attend the happening event. Last year, our first year as parents, we stayed at home, but did make it until midnight. This year our New Years kiss was at 10 o'clock right before we rolled over to sleep. To tell you the truth we were just as content....midnight still came...the peach still dropped...and yes like it or not 2009 came on while we were fast asleep. I guess we're getting old. or maybe it's because we have an 18 month old. So, well as our New Years Eve was not the most memorable. New Years Day turned out to be very rewarding.

As many of you know, and have been following her progress, Britt's cousin, Katherine Arnold Wolf, has been recovering from the rupture of an AVM (arteriovenous malformation), a congenital condition, at the base of her brain, since April 21, 2008. As many know, it is a miracle she is still with us today. Even though she still has many obstacles still to overcome....it is AMAZING how far she has come!!! Over Thanksgiving the Hulsey family all got together and word was that Katherine was coming home over Christmas break. My first thoughts were how exciting I'd love to see her! Than I thought....there are so many people who are going to want to see her....she's going to be so overwhelmed, maybe next time. Well the week after Christmas they called to tell us Katherine wanted to see all the Hulsey's New Years Day. I was thrilled....although never having a chance to really get to know Katherine before her and Jay moved out to California, her story has hit close to home not only because she's family, but she is also in her late 20's and the mother of a young child....hmmm...just like me. It could have happened to anyone! In fact James and Maeve are only 4 months apart. Needless to say, Katherine's strength and determination has become one I truly admire and her story I follow daily! I honestly don't know that I would have the strength she does. New Year's day was that of bittersweet. Here comes Katherine walking in on a cane....only 8 months later!!!! I knew they had to be exhausted from trying to see everyone and Katherine, if anyone, had a good reason to say enough is enough, but yet she was there in amazing spirit...in fact I said, "Katherine you must be exhausted" and she replied, "Nope, I feel fine!!" In talking with her...I realized that Katherine's "spunk", I so often hear about it, is still there...in fact she laughed and said when she's able to eat again she's going to eat for all of us and get fat...she won't care! As we all enjoyed collard greens and blacked peas, visiting personally with Katherine, and watching James and Maeve play....I realized where part of Katherine's strength is coming from....her family and friends. Katherine is blessed with an amazing family!


My 2009 begin with a wake up call.....I am so thankful for my faith, my health, my family and friends! If you haven't been following or are unaware of Katherine's story I recommend you looking into it...

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewHome.do

Also Katherine's mom, Kim, is an amazing writer...http://www.katherineawolf.blogspot.com/


Below are a few pictures from our day.....

Maeve and James' first meeting....they even matched!


Kim, Kelly, and I tried many attempts for both to be looking at the camera....no such luck!


James and Maeve playing


Katherine, Aunt Red, James, and Kim








1 comments:

Ashley said...

Gosh, Leah, she's probably the prettiest little girl I've ever seen! She is just precious! I love her boots!